Re: service helper package

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >> This is such a broken behavior. Initscripts are enabled and disabled in
> >> the configuration of the init system.
> >
> > That's not quite true - many packages in debian use an enable/disable
> > variable in an /etc/default/package file.
>
> Not talking about any policy, but I personally hate it. Why on earth
> would you want to have a package NOT to work if you install it? This is
> insane...

Because there are some times when a package works just fine without a
daemon running.

As a trivial example, see spamassassin.

That said, unless you have a really good reason the init script should
be enabled by default.

Don Armstrong

--
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on
society.