Re: Ubuntu-to-Debian packaging

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 22:47 +0000, James Westby wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 18:23 -0400, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras wrote:
> > You need a new changelog for Debian starting from scratch and you could
> > adapt the copyright (if the license allow it) or just make one new.
>
> I'm not so sure.

Likewise, I don't see why you would want to start over. You'd lose
potentially useful changelog information. For example, if you're
wondering why something was done a certain way in the package, it might
be listed in the changelog.

Plus, packages that started in Ubuntu obviously have some interest
there. As they're downstream of Debian, changes will be copied in at
least one direction, but quite probably both. Retaining history can be
very useful in these efforts.

Finally, I think it's generally distaseful to remove the record of
someone else's work for no good reason.

Richard