Re: file encoding and eol marker in orig.tar.gz

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 09:10:11AM -0200, Tiago Saboga wrote:
> I am polishing the packages for omegat (#448867) and
> libhtmlparser-java (#448872) and I have a few questions. The
> background is that I already have to repackage upstream tarball,
> because they contain compiled jars.
>
> 1) Should I convert eol markers (fromdos)? Or at least should I fix
> the half a dozen files which have CRLF+CR as eol markers?

For many Java packages, I have had to do this, especially to have nice
looking patches.

> 2) Should I convert the encoding to utf-8?

I don't know about this.

> In libhtmlparser, there are two files without copyright notice. This
> is already corrected in upstream's svn, but upstream is slowly
> preparing a new major version and doesn't seem likely to release soon.
> May I introduce myself the notice, noting somewhere that it was
> 'backported' from svn?

Again, this is also a debatable one. But since you are repackaging,
you might want to merge these changes from upstream, or patch them,
without hurting anyone's sentiments. But I think more knowledgeable
persons should answer this. :-)

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,