Re: debian files in sourceforge cvs

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 07:50:58AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 10:59:12AM -0500, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> > On 27/06/07, Tiago Saboga <tiagosaboga@terra.com.br> wrote:
> > >I am working closely with upstream devs, and I am willing to manage
> > >the debian files in the same sourceforge cvs. I understand that the
> > >upstream tarball should not contain the debian files;
> >
> > I'm not quite sure, but I think that would be a 'Debian native' package.
>
> No, it should not be a Debian-native package.  Please do not advocate this
> without understanding the actual intent of a Debian-native package -- that
> the package makes no sense outside of Debian.

There is something else to consider.  Even some packages which make no
sense outside of Debian should not be Debian native packages.  The
reason is that the Debian native pacakage has no .orig.tar.gz and
.diff.gz.  Only a single .tar.gz.  That means that *every* single
package update requires incrementing the "upstream" version number
and uploading the entire source all over again, even for trivial
packaging-related changes.

Regards,

-Roberto
--