Re: RFS: kicad (updated package)

On 6/15/07, Richard A Burton <richardaburton@gmail.com> wrote:

As of last week I now have write access to the kicad dev svn
repository (in fact it's only as of about 2 weeks ago that there was
an upstream dev repo at all). So patches have gone upstream, except
the debpatchs one (see below).

Excellent.

> Why do only the german and italian help files depend on the english help files?

The doc available varies by language. German and Italian don't provide
on-line help, and instead reference the English version. It's not
perfect, but a real fix requires extra translation and I don't speak
either of those.

Hmmm, ok. BTW, I suggest you don't add this phrase to the English docs package:

'Documentation varies by language. Where the main help files are not
available in your language English will be used instead.'

I'd also suggest removing it from all the other doc package
descriptions except de and it.

More package description comments:

'open source' is redundant in the kicad package description since
kicad is in Debian main.

You might also want the The Smith Review Project to review your description:

http://wiki.debian.org/I18n/SmithReviewProject

> If it is possible to build the docs (which are probably arch-indep) in
> the build-indep target, you should do that.

The docs aren't build at all, they ship as-is.

So, the docs shipped in the .deb are "source code" - ie, the preferred
form for modification ? Looks like they are edited in OpenOffice, so I
can believe that.

I don't, I do it by hand. It's not ideal, but it's only temporary.
Next upstream version will be from a single source as I convinced them
to check everything into the new svn repo that is required to produce
the complete binary package.

Excellent.

It does have an install target but it's inflexible, and it literally
only copies 5 binaries. It does not install docs, libraries, etc.
Upstream (so will be in next release) I have improved the install
target to allow you to better override the paths, and I'm going to add
targets for installing the rest of the stuff, so again this current
method should only be for this release.

Good stuff.

Ok, having done these things would you be willing to do an upload?

Unfortunately I cannot commit to sponsoring packages due to lack of
time and internet access at home. I'm at DebCamp and had a spare hour
or so to review package diffs.

Do I need to increment the Debian part of the version number to upload
to the mentors site?

I believe you can re-upload the same version, you would have to check though.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise