Re: About md5sums of debian sources

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 02:59:16PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 00:54 -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> >
> > I am relatively certain that on those machines, the speed boost of
> > using
> > gzip compression over bzip2 compression is probably quite necessary in
> > the ability of those machines which are being used as buildds to keep
> > up.
>
> This would suggest that the decompression time (with bz2) is a
> dominating factor in building software on these machines.. is it?
>
> Or is it just supposition?

Good point.  For things like OOo, gcc and linux, probably not.  But I
imagine that the memory issues is much more relevant.  If bzip2 hogs
lots of memory, it will push into swap, which will slow things down even
more.  Of course, there is also the perspective that "every little bit
helps."

Regards,

-Roberto

--