Re: ITA or ITP, for former Debian packages?

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:35:14 -0000
"Robert J. Clay" <rjclay@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Just put a note in the debian/changelog.
>
>       That grave bug noted above, I have that one noted in the
> changelog.      Not sure how to handle the others...

The same way. This isn't a normal 'new' package - it will be subject to
a different range of checks because of the history. It's only sensible
to put the answers to obvious questions in an obvious place. Debian is
not going to want to include the new package if old bugs have to be
reopened so set out clearly which of the old bugs are actually fixed in
the new package.

> > Less serious bugs that have not
> > been fixed can be re-opened after the upload has been accepted. It may
> > also be worth commenting on which bugs have been fixed in the ITA,
>
>     You mean, as part of the initial message?  I had thought to
> include such details in follow on messages to the ITP bug...

Somewhere in the bug report. If you haven't filed the ITP yet, you can
mention exactly which bugs are fixed in this upload in the first
message - that will ease the passage of the upload through the NEW
queue. ftpmasters like it if the answers to their inevitable questions
are in an obvious place. The ITP is that place and the easier it is to
find the information, the better.

>      I intend to do the ITP but I'm not sure when I'll get to the
> point of having a package ready to upload.

File the ITP now, put full comments on exactly which bugs have been
fixed in the new upload (and reopen any that have not) into the first
message - right beneath the description of the package. Full comments
in the ITP, brief details into debian/changelog.

>  I'm changing it over to
> using debhelper (instead of debmake) &  generally doing an update to
> the packaging...

That isn't unusual - and as the maintainer, it is up to you whether to
use debhelper or dpkg or CDBS or dbs etc. Just be careful that the
transition does not introduce any new bugs. ;-)

There is no time limit on an ITP - if there is no activity after a year
or so it might be closed automatically but you can always reopen it.

--

Neil Williams