Re: RFS: gnofract4d

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 10:25:29 +0200 (CEST)
francesco namuri <francesco@namuri.it> wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "gnofract4d".
>
>   Package name    : gnofract4d
>   Version         : 3.4+dfsg-1
>   Upstream Author : Tim Whidbey <catenary@users.sourceforge.net>
>   URL             : http://gnofract4d.sourceforge.net/download.html
>   License         : BSD
>   Section         : graphics
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> gnofract4d - a fractal images creator
>
> The package is lintian clean.
>
> The upload would fix these bugs: 420507

> main contrib non-free
> - dget
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gnofract4d/gnofract4d_3.4+dfsg-1.dsc

  I would, but the copyright file states:

| fractutils/gf4d_subprocess.py:
|
| #By obtaining, using, and/or copying this software and/or its
| #associated documentation, you agree that you have read, understood,
| #and will comply with the following terms and conditions:
| #
| #Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and
| #its associated documentation for any purpose and without fee is
| #hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice appears in
| #all copies, and that both that copyright notice and this permission
| #notice appear in supporting documentation, and that the name of the
| #author not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to
| #distribution of the software without specific, written prior
| #permission.

  To my understanding this is contrary to DFSG #1 because you cannot sell
it, permission is only given "for any purpose AND without fee".

  So either you contact the upstream author and agree with him to change
this clause or you package it for non-free.

  regards,
--
 Ricardo Mones
 http://people.debian.org/~mones