Re: Advice on packaging SAGE

Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> writes:
> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 06:01:53PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Why?  I don't see anything in the DFSG that says that licenses may not
>> require citing authors, and in fact many DFSG-free licenses require
>> that one preserve copyright statements or authorship information.

> I don't think we want to turn d-mentors into an alternate debian-legal.

I agree to an extent, but I'm not going to let stand statements about
licenses that I think are wrong.  This is one of the places where we're
interacting with people who aren't familiar with how license discussions
go in Debian, and they're likely to believe unchallenged statements and
not even realize that they're controversial.

Now that I've registered my disagreement with this license judgement,
though, I don't see any need to further belabor the point.  The ftpmasters
are the final authority on license questions in Debian; everything prior
to an ftpmaster decision is mostly speculation.