Re: Build-Depends-Indep and build target

Hi,

Joachim Reichel <joachim.reichel@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> section 7.6 of the policy states that Build-Depends-Indep must be
> satisfied if the build target is invoked.

[...]

> Now, if my sponsor uploads this package, it will still fail, right? If
> Build-Depends-Indep is not satisfied by accident, the build will fail
> again ...

Your analysis looks correct to me. It is a known fact that the buildds
don't conform to Policy as far as Build-Depends and Build-Depends-Indep
are concerned.

> So what should I do?

I suggest you read the following post:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2006/09/msg00229.html

The first paragraph by Wouter Verhelst (longtime buildd admin) tells you
what buildds from real life expect, which explains why your build
failed: because your Build-Depends line didn't contain "all packages
that are required for a 'dpkg-buildpackage -B' run to complete
successfully" (since, as you noticed, 'dpkg-buildpackage -B' does call
'debian/rules build' and your 'build' target requires tetex-bin, which
is not in your Build-Depends).

The last paragraph, by Scott James Remnant, confirms this and tells you
in a more straightforward way what you should do to have the package
build successfully on the buildds: include tetex-bin in your
Build-Depends, since it's needed in the 'build' target.

But again, you're right on this: according to Policy, your package build
should not fail due to latex being unavailable.

--
Florent