Re: [RFC] alpine - Friendly text-based email client (Bug #401001)

Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> Upstream bundles an editor called PICO, originally the PIne COmposer.  I
> wanted to ask for comments on the way I handled making two binary
> packages: basically I do "make install" with CURDIR set to alpine, and I
> just "mv" the pico binary and man page out into the CURDIR for
> alpine-pico.  The "pico" binary and man page are separated because
> "nano" also has a pico man page and binary; that way, only alpine-pico
> conflicts with nano.

this is good.

you could have installed in debian/tmp and split it with the *.install
files, but since the second binary package is small, thats the more
elegant way.

> There's only one other significant change: The build system prompts the
> user interactively if to enable IPv6 support, so I commented out the
> question and enabled it.

good.

> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/a/alpine/alpine_0.8-0.dsc

  * you're modifying imap/Makefile without notice in the changelog

  * it's normal to write debhelper with a version, such as
    debhelper (>= 4), and list it as the first build-depends.

  * outdated standards-version.

  * Homepage: http://www.washington.edu/alpine/ should have two leading
    spaces.

  * your upstream url is not valid.

  * s/Copyright/License/ in copyright, and add the
    'Copyright (C) $year $copyright_holder' line.

  * remove the useless commented stuff in rules and watch

  * remove the binary-indep stuff, you don't build arch: all packages

  * remove the useless dh_* calls

  * do not use two or more empty lines as seperator in rules, one is
    just enough.

  * remove the empty lines at the end of watch

the rest looks good. if you change above things, i'll sponsor it.