Re: RFS: audacious -- Small and fast audio player which supports lots of formats

Adam Cécile (Le_Vert) wrote:
> I don't understand why I should do that. What's the problem ?

currently, you have:

audacious
libaudacious3-dev
libaudacious3
audacious-plugins
audacious-plugins-extra
audacious-locales
audacious-common

whereas:

audacious-common is only interesting for BinNMUs, but the package is,
unpacked, only 440kb.. not worthwile, include that into audacious.

audacious-locales is only interesting, if you don't want the additional
locales installed, but it is unpacked only 1.5mb, not worthwile, include
that into audacious. splitted out locales is only worthwile for some
real large programs like openoffice.org, mozilla-* etc.

audacious depends on audacious-plugins, so from the depends point of
view, you don't gain anything with that. just include audacious-plugins
into audacious.

since audacious depends on audacious-plugins, let's compare the
depends-chains of (audacious + audacious-plugins) and
audacious-plugins-extra, these are the *additional* depends which
audacious-plugins-extra does have:

libartsc0 (>= 1.5.0-1)
libaudiofile0 (>= 0.2.3-4)
libcomerr2 (>= 1.33-3)
libcurl3-gnutls (>= 7.15.5-1)
libesd0 (>= 0.2.35) | libesd-alsa0 (>= 0.2.35)
libflac7
libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-12)
libgnutls13 (>= 1.4.0-0)
libidn11 (>= 0.5.18)
libjack0.100.0-0 (>= 0.101.1)
libkrb53 (>= 1.4.2)
liblircclient0
libmodplug0c2 (>= 1:0.7-4.1)
libmpcdec3
libmusicbrainz4c2a (>= 2.1.4)
libresid-builder0c2a
libsamplerate0
libsidplay2
libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1-12)
zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1)

as these pull-in jack and arts, it makes sense to keep these plugins as
a seperate package (as you mentioned and I agreed before). when you drop
the original audacious-plugins, you can just rename
audacious-plugins-extra into audacious-plugins.

everything clear?