Re: Request-For-Sponsorship (xfardic)

* Thu 2006-06-22 Thijs Kinkhorst <kink AT squirrelmail.org>
> On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 22:31 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
>
>> * On the first upload, debian/changelog should have just one entry.
>>   This is somewhat clumsy if you have a history of this package in
>>   your private/local repository (like me with debs of kbtin on
>>   SourceForge), but I remember someone being shouted upon for this.
>>   I can't recall the reason, but I guess someone can say what it was.
>
> I'm not sure about a specific incident, but in general I'd say that for
> an otherwise unreleased package, more than one changelog entry is quite
> redundant. There's no reason to bother people with the different
> versions that never left your hard drive, so why include it? Keep it
> simple.

I disagree.

The history in package indicates that there has been work going on
before the package was added to Debian. The history documents the
changes and gives indication of overall activity and competence the
package was previously handled. A comment "First initial official
Debian release" will clearly indicate when the package become part of
the Debian.

If some day, it get's dropped out of Debian, someone may pick up it
again. The history should record all those.

Jari