Re: [RFS] cmarrows

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:10:53PM +0200, Matej Kosik wrote:
> Uff. I wrongly assumed that software available on the internet without
> any restrictions (no licensing information, no "public domain" statement
> ) could be considered to be "public domain". As you say, it is not true.
>
> Thus, the original software is "all rights reserved". That means that
> noone (other than the original author---the coopyright holder) can:
> - distribute it
> - modify it
> - ditribute modified versions.
> Am I right?

You can always modify a piece of software you legally obtained, just
like you can modify a car you bought, not losing anything but an
eventual guarantee.
Only signing a contract can take away this right from you; copyright
applies only to _copying_, not to use or modifying.

But otherwise, you're right.

However, the correct thing to do now is "mail upstream", not "drop the
package".

Cheers and schtuff,
--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be