Re: Request-For-Sponsorship (xfardic)

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 09:36:59AM +0000, Alan Baghumian wrote:
> * Package name	: xfardic

First, it would be nice if the subject could contain the package's
name.  Perhaps the m.d.n boilerplate could include it.

The big four tests:
* lintian:
    I'm afraid there are four issues, all in the binary .deb.  Just
  run "lintian -i xfardic_0.7.5+cvs20060604-2_i386.deb", the output
  is quite descriptive.
* linda:
    A subset of lintian's warnings.
* piuparts:
    Fails, but it's due to your dependency chain.  It's not your
  fault, so you can ignore it for now.
* pbuilder:
    Ok.

The source:
* The package is debian-native, even though it obviously has an
  upstream, plenty of non-Debian specific code and so on.  You'll
  need to pass the appropiate args to dpkg-source.
* You need to close your ITP bug in debian/changelog:
    Closes: #282457.
* On the first upload, debian/changelog should have just one entry.
  This is somewhat clumsy if you have a history of this package in
  your private/local repository (like me with debs of kbtin on
  SourceForge), but I remember someone being shouted upon for this.
  I can't recall the reason, but I guess someone can say what it was.
* debian/README.Debian contains nothing relevant.  Everything has
  already been mentioned in debian/copyright, the description or
  simply doesn't matter to the end user (installation details).
* debian/dirs: usr/sbin is obviously unneeded.
* debian/xfardic.doc-base.EX -- an unedited example file.
* debian/rules: Having unneeded commented out stock dh rules is
  frowned upon.

The binary:
* README -- exactly the same as README.Debian.
* The source has po files for fa_IR and az_AZ, yet only fa_IR gets
  installed.
* As this is a GUI program, a menu or .desktop file would be useful.
* No databases are installed by default.  Why won't you package them,
  especially if you provide one on the SF pages yourself?  The
  program is kind of useless otherwise.

Usage comments:
* Slogging through a tiny scrolled window is a pain, and it happens
  every time you specify a word that's a part of more than 1-2
  phrases.  Why won't you enable the maximize button?
(No "real" usage tests, sorry.  My knowledge of Persian is about as
good as my knowledge of Chinese, Klingon or Swahili.)

HTH.
--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be