Re: How can I help Debian best?

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:18:19AM +0200, Christian Hütter wrote:
> I've the wish to contribute to Debian. However, from all the stuff
> needed to be done I would be best at coding, I guess.
> Now I'm completely unsure what to do in order to help Debian as good as
> I can:
> (a) "Just" writing free software and hope that it is good and attractive
> enouth to be included in Debian when it is needed and ready.
> (b) Write free software according to the Debian guidelines and (try to)
> find a Debian Maintainer who is willing (and has the time) to audit and
> upload the software.
> (c) (Trying to) become a Debian Maintainer, building and packaging the
> software on my own on basis of the ideals, needs and policy of the
> Debian project (and thus *for* Debian and only implicitly for the free
> software community).

All of the above. :)  Just start contributing the way you want now, and
see later what you want to do later.  Get familiar with how the project
works by reading the docs and mailing lists.

> Being aware that you can't give me the absolute answer to my question,
> and because I really would like the idea to (try to) become a Debian
> Developer (guessing that my dedication would increase quite a bit), I
> would especially be interested in the answer to the question how much
> time it takes to work really "Debian conform", that is, how much time
> (the average) developers spend reading new guidelines etc., or better:
> how much time is left for the actual development if you stay informed
> about all the policy changes etc.?

Becoming a DD can be a looong and discouraging process.  Don't make it
your goal.  The goal should be to enjoy learning from Debian while
contributing.  The time you spend on Debian is completely free.