Re: executable name collision

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Matthew Palmer wrote:

Is motor generally useful, or is it just used as an internal component of
mx? (not a good name itself, BTW)  If the latter, consider putting motor
into /usr/lib/mx.

It is a generally used program for data acquisition and control. The name motor is historical but is basically because it controls physical motors for the most part. The solution we are likely to take is to call the program mxmotor (I think that the "motor" package has precedence and I don't plan on asking for a name change there) and for local installations make a local package which makes a symlink called motor in /usr/local/bin. This is so current users won't have problems with the name change.

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Illinois Institute of Technology