Re: Avoiding the Linux version of "DLL Hell"...

Thank you Florent and Tyler.

You have answered my questions.

Tyler,

What is the proper procedure for notifying the maintainer of a package about the dependency problem?

Florent,

Where do I find the "Policy" that you speak of?

Scott Huey

On 6/5/06, Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:
"Redefined Horizons" <redefined.horizons@gmail.com > wrote:

> Here is my question. Can I create a custom Debian package for Library A that
> satisfies the dependency requirements of Package A, but still keep the older
> version of Library A required by my other programs?

Of course. Look for example at the GTK+ library. In both sarge and sid,
you'll find GTK+ 1.2 and GTK+ 2 (packages libgtk*), as well as packages
using GTK+ 1.2, and packages using GTK+ 2.

> In essence, I want to create my own custom Debian Packages to avoid
> conflicts in package dependencies. Is this plausible?

Yes, dpkg allows you to express dependencies in a comfortable way.
Besides the New Maintainer's Guide, which you've already found, you
should really read the Debian Policy to get a better understanding of
these things.

HTH,

--
Florent