Re: Debian package without released upstream source

Hi Jörg!

On 6/4/06, Jörg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> wrote:
> I saw on http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10646&release_id=241671
> that it's a release candidate version, right?

No. The source is here: http://dev.atmarama.org/xindy-2.2-beta2.tar.gz
It's really outside of sourceforge. I've got it told here in the second
mail:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=9429234&forum_id=41680

Right.

> There is no problem that the version is a release candidate or a beta
> version or something else. You can release a package based on those
> versions.

Good to know.

There are a lot of packages on Debian that are based on release
candidates, beta versions, snapshots of the code (from CVS, SVN, etc)
and other things.
The package maintainer just needs to know if the source is on a state
that can be released and also decide if it needs more testing (so
he/she will upload it to experimental) or if it can be used by
everyone (uploading it to unstable).

> You just need to take care if the program is really ready to be used.

Yes. I use it and if I understood upstream right it is more a repacking
of the sources than a new source.

Good.

> You need to see if it's OK to upload the package to unstable or if
> it's better to use experimental, until the final version of the
> program is released.

I'm in doupt that this version is release anytime. ;-)

OK. No problem to upload the package to unstable, since you use it and
it looks like it's ready to be used.

Good luck with your package!

Best regards,
Nelson