Re: Debian package without released upstream source

Hallo Nelson,

Nelson A. de Oliveira <naoliv@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 6/4/06, Jörg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> wrote:
>> Now, my question is: Can I release a package that bases on not-released
>> sources? If so, I request for an sponsor. Otherwise, what should I do?
>> Wait?
>
> Well... you can.
>
> I saw on http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10646&release_id=241671
> that it's a release candidate version, right?

No. The source is here: http://dev.atmarama.org/xindy-2.2-beta2.tar.gz
It's really outside of sourceforge. I've got it told here in the second
mail:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=9429234&forum_id=41680

> There is no problem that the version is a release candidate or a beta
> version or something else. You can release a package based on those
> versions.

Good to know.

> You just need to take care if the program is really ready to be used.

Yes. I use it and if I understood upstream right it is more a repacking
of the sources than a new source.

> You need to see if it's OK to upload the package to unstable or if
> it's better to use experimental, until the final version of the
> program is released.

I'm in doupt that this version is release anytime. ;-)

> Right? :-)

Thanks.

Regards, Jörg.
--
Computer Science is no more about Computers than astronomy is about
telescopes.