Re: Getting close to releasing my first .deb's... What's next?

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 03:01:23PM -0700, Tyler MacDonald wrote:

> I'm working on creating .deb packages for one of my projects, with the
> eventual goal of having it included in the debian distribution.
>
> I've browsed through the policy manual, new maintainers guide, etc, and I've
> successfully created a "debian/" directory in my project that allows debuild
> to produce the files here:
>
> 	http://www.crackerjack.net/mod_bt/experimental_debs/
>
> These files aren't signed (yet). I know that's the next step. :-) But then,
> what about after that.... Before I seek a sponsor I'd like to have all the
> spit-n-polish done and have these packages as close to "perfect", but
> there's a few issues I'm not sure how to deal with:
>
> 	1. lintian complains that I don't have manpages for my executables.
> This is because the project is still young and they haven't actually been
> written yet. However, the executables aren't the meat of the project,
> they're just nice-to-haves and some may disappear/get re-arranged. Is the
> lack of manpages for these tools a blocker? I've noticed several packages
> that get installed with a generic "no manpage was written for this" manpage,
> can I just do that for now?
You can write a single manpage that documents all the executables, and
modify it as they come and go.  dh_undocumented creates the "not yet
documented" link, but this is depreciated.

> 	4. W: libbtt: non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink usr/lib/libbtt.so.0.0.0 usr/lib/libbtt.so
> 	Should I care?
Is it a public shared library?  (Do other packages link to it?)  If
not, you can/should try to move it out of /usr/lib.

Justin