Re: RFS: gaupol -- Subtitle editor for text-based subtitle files

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 21:55 +0200, Piotr Ozarowski wrote:

> I think gaupol is popular enough to be included in Debian.

Thanks for packaging this. BTW, once it is uploaded, check out the
popcon results for the package:

http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?popcon=gaupol

> I'm confused because I can't find a sponsor.

Please read the debian-mentors FAQ, it contains tips for ways to find
sponsors if you don't find one here. Most importantly, register on
sponsors.debian.net so it isn't lost. In your case, I suggest trying the
debian-multimedia list. debian-i18n may be very slightly relevant since
upstream says it has a convenient translating option.

> Is there anything wrong with my package?

Some comments/questions:

      * The default version of python in debian is 2.3 (this is changing
        soon). You should always use the default version unless your
        package won't work with the default version, otherwise python
        transitions will take longer.
      * Why did you file an extra ITP when there was already one? You
        should have pinged the bug and changed its owner if there was no
        response. Did you contact the submitter of #345899 to see if
        s/he is still intending to package gaupol (it is only a couple
        of months older)?
      * debian/copyright: needs to contain the copyright statement from
        the upstream copyright holders (all of them). Use grep and mc to
        find them all. for eg:
        Copyright 2005 Jane Doe
        Copyright 2006 John Doe
      * debian/copyright: you forgot to add the licence statement in
        full. specifically, you missed out the warranty disclaimer and
        the how to get the GPL bit.
      * debian/control: you should use the output of dh_python to add
        python depends.
      * debian/control: add extra space before Homepage - see devref
        6.2.4
      * debian/control: I'd suggest mentioning some of the other
        features from the upstream website - translation and spell-check
        are important to mention IMO.
      * debian/gaupol.1: typo in DESCRIPTION: command not commands
      * debian/docs: you might want to distribute po/ChangeLog and maybe
        po/README.translators
      * debian/rules: shouldn't you be running setup.py clean in the
        clean target?
      * Don't forget to build in pbuilder, test with puiparts, lintian
        and linda and once it is uploaded add tags to the debtags[1]
        database.

     1. http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/

--
bye,