Re: [Update] Re: What to do if the upstream keeps debian directory in original tarball?

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 07:30:22PM -0800, Stan Vasilyev wrote:
> From the last e-mail I got from Thierry it looks like he wants to make a
> compromise. Since I annoyed him so much with my e-mails, he proposed to start
> releasing Xdialog in two versions: Xdialog-version.tar.bz2 file with debian
> directory and Xdialog-version.orig.tar.gz without the debian directory. Is
> that such a good idea?

I don't see a reason to have a version with a debian directory, but if he
insists on having that, this sounds like a good compromise.

> At this point he thinks that Debian developers are a bunch of political
> fanatics who only care about the holy Debian Policy Manual and don't care
> about other distros. Oh, misunderstandings...

Well, some of us[1] are. ;-)  Anyway, personally I think that Debian users
benefit a lot from the policy, because they know what to expect from packages.
I really don't see why the (unwritten) policy of "don't bother others with
your distribution-specific stuff" is offensive for those others.[2]

Well, it would be nice if you could make him think less negative about us. :-)
You seem to be doing a good job at least in getting results.  Keep it up!

Thanks,
Bas

[1] I'm not an official Debian Developer, but I do consider myself a Debian
developer (mind the lowercase 'd').
[2] Note that I do think having a debian directory in cvs (or svn, or whatever
they use) is useful, if it is maintained.  It just shouldn't be in the release
tarball.