library naming problem

Hi,

I've been helping to package the GDAL library. It contains a C and a C++
API. The upstream maintainer has decided not to guarantee ABI
compatibility even between minor releases. He updates the SONAME
correctly for the C API. Hopefully we can manage to split the two APIs
into different packages. But for now, how should I name the package when
the ABI has changed, but the SONAME hasn't?

The SONAME is libgdal.so.1. The new release is 1.3.1. I've thought of
using libgdal1.3.1-1 as the package name.

Thanks for any pointers,
Steve