Re: RFS(2): autoreply - A safe, rate-limited auto-responder

Blars Blarson <blarson@blars.org> wrote:

> In other words, this looks like yet another vaction clone by someone who
> didn't bother to read the vacation man page.

IMO, such judgments are not acceptable on public mailing-lists[1]. If
the upstream author felt like writing a program similar to vacation,
hell, who am *I* (and, for that matter, you) to say he should do
something better with *his* free time? Free software works because
people have fun developing it. If the guy is having fun rewriting
something that for some parts already exists, well, so be it. Sometimes,
rewrites/clones happen to be a good thing, also.

Whether the program is a useful addition to Debian---considering that
vacation is already there---is an entirely different matter, on which I
won't comment (because I have no opinion about it, using neither of the
programs, and not even considering doing so).

  [1] You may want to try to convince the upstream author privately if
      you really feel so sad about the "waste of resources" for the free
      software community (*cough*).

--
Florent