Re: problems in creating .deb using dpkg-buildpackage!!!

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 06:23:39AM -0800, TIFR students wrote:
> Hi,
> we're having some problems while trying to create a
> .deb package using dh_make followed by
> dpkg-buildpackage command. dh_make works fine.It
> creates a debian dir n all(We made the necessary
> changes in the control file),however while trying to
> issue dpkg-buildpackage command for creating .deb file
> in the final step, we hav the foll. error....
> $dpkg-buildpackge -rfakeroot
[...]
> dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is root
> <root@box>
Don't run it as root; you're using fakeroot, so that's not necessary
anyways.

> # Add here commands to compile the package.
> /usr/bin/make
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/test/php-5.0.2'
> make[1]: *** No targets specified and no makefile
> found.  Stop.
./debian/rules is just a template.  It includes some required "make
targets", and some convenient ones (like binary, I believe).  Your
project apparently doesn't use a makefile, so you shouldn't just run
"make" (which is what the template does).  Instead, you need to put
into ./debian/rules whatever you would otherwise type to compile the
package.  Upstream should have build instructions somewhere.

Cheers,
Justin