Re: Unicode conversion goals for Sarge (was Re: debian-changelog-file-uses-obsolete-national-charset)

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:05:04AM +0300, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> > Heck, if you ask me, Sarge should be known as the "we upgrade everyone
> > to UTF-8" Debian release. This would imply that absolutely every
> > package to be released in Sarge would know about legacy encodings for
> > each locale and be able to recode every config file, man page,
>
> Not possible. UTF-8 man pages are not yet supported by groff, and won't
> be until groff 2.0.

Do you envision this as being possible for Sarge+1 then?

At this point, it seems that all Debian-specific tools either default to
UTF-8 or can handle UTF-8, so it doesn't seem like such a difficult goal.

Then again, maybe I'm missing something?  If that's the case, I'll gladly
receive educated advice on both matters:

1) Manual conversion of a Woody/Sarge system to UTF-8.
2) Eventual automated upgrade to UTF-8 by Sarge+1 packages.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/