Question about Debian Policy 6.1

Hi I have a doubt about the point 6.1, it says:

"These scripts are the files preinst, postinst, prerm and postrm in the
control area of the package. They must be proper executable files; if
they are scripts (which is recommended), they must start with the usual
#! convention. They should be readable and executable by anyone, and not
world-writable."

From there, I understand that they should have 755 permissions, right?

I fixed the packages I'm packaging as part of my NewMaintainer process
when my sponsor noted it to me and also I filed a bug against gedit
because it does not have the execution bits (#237091), but I was talking
about it with another NewMaintainer friend because his package does not
have the execution bit and after some research we saw that the .deb
package have them with the execution bit, we think it's dpkg-build which
fixes it.

My question is... if dpkg-build "fixes" it automatically, should we
change the execution bit inside debian/ directory? (lintian does not
detect it as a policy violation and debhelper creates the templates
without the execution bit)

Cheers.
--
Carlos Perelló Marín