Re: packaging distutil programs

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 12:50:54AM -0500, Carlo U. Segre wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am trying to make a package of python programs which are distributed
> using distutils.  I can't find any documentation on how this is properly
> done.  Right now, I am kludging it by using bdist_rpm and alien but this
> doesn't properly take into account the dependencies.

You should read the python policy, if you have not already done so, and
looking at existing python packages probably won't do any harm.

Basically, you have to call setup.py install with the --root argument in
debian/rules, and of course provide the right .postinst and .prerm
scripts (once again look at existing python packages for examples).

If what you're packaging can be seen as a python library, please try to
provide packages for at least python2.2 and python2.3. If there are any
scripts shipped with the packages, don't forget to use alternatives so
that the package can be installed for several python version at the same
time.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
LOGILAB, Paris (France).