Re: Asking for an advocate (gURLChecker) ...

Hi again!

> OK, once and for all, I'm going to put down my interpretation of the purpose
> of the advocate in the NM process.  If anyone thinks differently, please
> speak up.
>
> The advocate is a Debian Developer (DD) who knows the work of the
> prospective maintainer, and is willing to state publically "I would be
> willing to have this person as a fellow Debian maintainer".
>
> Now, how does a DD get to know that they would like the NM in Debian?  By
> working with him/her on something.  Now, I'm not saying that shouldn't be
> simple sponsorship, but the concept of a "sponsor" is very different to that
> of an advocate in Debian (it is unfortunate that the two words have similar
> usage in colloquial english).

	I agree with you. But, don't you think it is also possible to
	ask some DD to check my package, talk with him/her, and finally,
	if he/she thinks that I have done well, be my advocate?

> Asking for an advocate in debian-mentors (which is meant to be a forum for
> inexperienced packagers to ask about best practice not codified in existing
> documentation) is useless, and only, really, shows that you do not, truly,
> understand Debian.  And that is one of the things which an advocate should
> be able to certify - that the prospective maintainer fits well into Debian,
> and seems to know how to "fit in" with the existing structure.

	Well, I ask for an advocate because of debian web page says this:

        " ...
	  Applicants can find a sponsor by sending an email to
          <debian-mentors@lists.debian.org> describing their package and
          asking for a sponsor. Developers can find more information on
          how to be a sponsor in the Developer's Reference."

	and after of this:

	" Advocate:
          An existing Debian developer who recommends an Applicant. An
          Applicant can only go through the NM process after an Advocate
          has agreed with their application. The Sponsor of an Applicant
					     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          often acts as their Advocate once they are satisfied with the
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	  Applicant's skills."

	so I thougth this would be a good place to get help. But it seems
	tath I'm wron, as you are saying :-(

> If that sounds a little "boys club"ish, well, that might not be too far off
> the mark.  But being a DD isn't all money and babes, and the Project (as an
> entity) needs to know that those who are coming on board fit into it
> reasonably well.  T&S was supposed to do that, but there isn't a lot of
> chance to see how someone performs over time.  Advocacy is meant to provide
> that.
>
> So, having read all that (I presume) you're thinking, well then, how do I
> get an advocate?  Short answer: not here.  Find something other than simple
> packaging to do for the project.  We've got no shortage of packagers - the
> quantity of useless crap in Debian shows that.  A quick scan of the BTS will

	Ok, I wanted to be a packager but, you said that debian doesn't
	need more "bad" packagers like me. So i will choose anything else.

> show that bug fixers are in short supply.  Aiding a maintainer by hunting
> down and swatting existing bugs will (a) prove a demonstrable dedication and
> improvement to the project; and (b) get you known to at least one DD.  To
> start, why not check out some of the really old bugs at AJT's bugs over two
> years old list, http://master.debian.org/~ajt/oldbugs.html.  Finding some
> existing work to get involved with (such as debian-installer, a port to some
> odd hardware you have, or whatever) will also get you involved.
>
> In short, debian has plenty of packagers.  Getting involved with the project
> is the only way to find an advocate properly.
>
> - Matt

	When I mailed this list, it was hoping anyone could check my packet
	and help me improving it, I wasn't asking for a DD to be "only" my
	advocate. I was only asking for an upportunity to start de NM
	process.

	I know there are many packagers in debian, but it really is a
	problem??

	I'm not going to tell you my skill level (if you want to know them please
	tell me), neither to count the amount of hours I've spent reading docs
	to know the processes followed in debian or its "rules", neither the
	time spent on my car, travelling to the "nearest" city (~350km) where
	a DD lives ... because I did all this simply because I wanted to
	become a DD, being able to help others to become also and making my own
	packages. So please, excuse me if I did something wrong but I'm
	trying to do my best.

	I will try to help a DD in order to demostrate my skills in debian,
	but no because you have told me, but because I think it could be a
	good way and I really beleive that debian is more than a distribution
	forget it just because someone has "adviced" me do anything else than
	maintaining packages.

	It's really hard to do the process to be a DD, so please, don't talk
	so hardly to people who want to become DD.

	Bye!

--

Virus due to computers having unsafe sex.