Re: RFS: fai-bootcd

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Roland Mas wrote:

> Niall Young, 2003-11-20 09:50:29 +0100 :
>
> > It's really got nothing to do with Knoppix at this stage, that's
> > just where I'd like to take it - standardise on a toolkit for making
> > live CDs.
>
> You may want to check out (and contribute to :-) Debix, which has a
> similar goal.  Debix has a project on alioth.debian.org.

Looks good but I'm using mkinitrd-cd to handle booting and the live
filesystem (NFSROOT) is created by FAI.  The next goal is to get FAI
installing into a chroot, which gives you a live filesystem of a defined
FAI class.  Not hard, I just haven't had time yet.

The emphasis here is on using FAI's class mechanism as a complete
*description* of any host.  I'm more interested in using class definitions
to create a host, than in extracting a class or filesystem from an
existing host.  The goal is not only to automate installation of Debian,
but to use the *very same* classes and install mechanism to automate creation
of live CDs.  Then get all of this into d-i so it's a standard feature
of Debian.  Then Debian subprojects can concentrate on defining classes,
drawing upon Debian to create subset/customised distributions, instead of
every subproject maintaining their own installation and build tools,
custom package pools etc.

Anyone willing to sponsor? :-)

--
Niall Young