Re: Removal of user-edited configuration files?

Frank Lichtenheld <frank@lichtenheld.de> wrote:

> Hmm. There are two questions here:

Right, and thank you.

> I would not trust my English enough to decide whether
> "configuration files must be preserved when the package is removed, and
> only deleted when the package is purged." should read "must be deleted on
> purge" or "can be deleted on purge".

I guess that's not a question of english, but rather a WYRINWIM-clause
(what you read is not what I mean...).

> Some people do a `rm -rf' on directories the package created
> (e.g. under /etc/ or /var/) but I believe there are enough
> flamewars^Wdiscussions in the archive of debian-devel you could refer to
> to decide if you want to do this. (The last one seems to be
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200307/msg00919.html)

Nice and instructive to read this. I prefer to be flamed by Xu et
al. instead of Towns et al...

Merci vielmal,
Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie