Re: question for a package

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:23:04PM +0100, Ottavio Campana said
> Basic  stamp is  a good  micro for  teaching in  the schools,  it's much
> easier than other  micros, so I think it should  be important for debian
> to include it. But can it be  possible? I mean, could I submit a package
> for the  non-free section of  debian (if I find  a mentor)? Or  should I
> create a  package with only the  free software and create  a script that
> downloads the shared object from the parallax site and submit the deb to
> the contrib section?

It depends entirely on the license of the object.  Is it freely
re-distributable?

> If anyone of you has got some ideas and wants to see the source, the url
> is http://www.campana.vi.it/ottavio/progetti/basicstamp-1.0.tar.gz

From PBASIC_Tokenizer_Software_Distribution_License.txt:

  4. Distribution of Software Requires Signed Agreement.  If Licensee plans on
     distributing a copy of the PBASIC Tokenizer Library software, Parallax
     requires that Licensee submit a copy of each Licensee signed agreement
     relating to that PBASIC Tokenizer Library software using the contact
     information shown at the bottom indicating that Licensee agrees to the
     terms of this License and will administer the protections provided
     Parallax in all subsequent Licenses issued by Licensee.

Um...Are you willing to do this?  Or does Debian itself need to sign this
license before it can go in non-Free?  If you do want to try getting this into
non-Free, ask for opinions on the debian-legal list, including a full copy of
the license in your mail.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:         fissionable CISU USDOJ Kh-11 RSA Lon Horiuchi AUTODIN