Re: preferred method for coexistence of debconf- and manual parts in conf[ig ]files?

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 06:36:14PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> schrieb:

> >> The problem with that is, as pointed out in the bug report, is that now
> >> both the debconf database and language.dat are under /var, where backups
> >> are rarely done on homeusers systems, and he wants it under
> >> /etc.

> > Er, if you're not backing up /var/lib, that's your own damn fault.

> Of course, but that's what the latest bug report was about. And I can
> understand the reporter: If you've got a fckd up desktop system and some
> Debian CD's at hand, plus your backups of /home, /usr/local and /etc,
> you're not going to loose much - neither time nor data.

I don't accept that premise.  I have 127MB in /var/lib on my home
machine, and I suspect I would miss at least some of it if it went away.
At a glance, there seems to be 1.1MB stored in /var/lib/kde, and Samba
would store any printer driver settings (among other things) in
/var/lib/samba -- Samba certainly has applications on home networks.

> > There's been plenty of argument over this, but
> > no one who could do the work to fully parse the config files seems
> > willing to spend the time on it.

> I hope that ucf might present a solution (although I've only heard
> rumors about it)

It seems promising, though there wasn't a very clear step-by-step guide
for implementing it last I looked. :)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer