Re: RFS: avrdude - Programmer for Atmel AVR microcontrollers

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:53:54PM -0500, David I. Lehn wrote:
> I'm willing to sponsor this package if you haven't found someone else to
> do it yet.  I recently started using AVR chips and avrdude.
Great! I'm new to the AVR, too. Recently I bought this very nice butterfly
board an it works really great.

>  It's a
> really nice little tool.  I probably would have ITPed it myself in a week
> or so. ;)
So I was to early to be lazy ;-) But now I have learned very much about the
debian packaging scheme and all these tools. Very interesting.

> I'm not sure what the proper case of AVRDUDE is?  Most of the docs have
> it in all CAPS.  The Atmel chip references should probably use the
> capitalization that Atmel uses: ATtiny and ATmega.   Their web site has
> some references as "tinyAVR" and "megaAVR" but might as well be
> consistant with the AT89/90 names and start them all with AT. ;)

That's the marketing guys ;-) I didn't thought about this point, but now
it is corrected.

> Maybe want to make the avrprog reference a footnote instead of the first
> sentence.  In the future it's more historical info and a search term
> than something important to new users.

Done.

> I haven't looked too close at the packaging yet but did notice the
> 4.2.0-4 diff.gz has some cruft in it: doc/texput.log.
Whow, you're really observent! Removed.

> Let me know if you still need a sponsor and I'll take a closer look.

Yes, please do so. The updated release avrdude-4.2.0-5 (lintian and
linda clean) is availiable at

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/avrdude/

or

deb     http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free

> A unrelated random user question: Would you happen to know the proper
> way to reset an AVR hooked up through an AVRISP programmer?  Using "-E
> reset" works but warns about it not being a PPI programmer or something.

Sorry, I have not used the ISP interface yet, I'm only using the butterfly
in serial programming mode via RS232. It claims to be AVR910 compatible, but
in reality it isn't exactly. It uses something like a "extended subset" of
the usual commands. I committed a patch to cope with this to the upstream
author, but until now it isn't included in his cvs. So I'm wondering what
sources to make the package from: Should I choose the unmodified official
sources with this known limitation (as I did for now) or is it acceptable to
include my patch? Until now avrdude with my patch is the only possibility to
communicate with the butterfly board using linux, uisp doesn't support it.

For my own use I pack my modified sources as well, but I keep them on a
different server, only for people who really want them (version
4.2.0butterfly1):

http://mitglied.lycos.de/tenbahrt/debian

Thank you for volunteering to be my sponsor,

  Michael