Re: Recompiling a package

"Nelson A. de Oliveira" <n3150nao@bol.com.br> writes:

> I was searching for a package and I've found it. But it´s compiled for
> Debian stable. I use Debian unstable and I would like to compile it
> for my version of Debian.
> How can I recompile it? I have those files:
> program.diff.gz
> program.dsc
> program.changes
> program.deb
> program.orig.tar.gz

'dpkg-source -x program.dsc' should unpack the original source tarball
and apply the Debian diff.  You might check that the package you have
doesn't just work without modification, though; the usual problem with
stable/unstable packages is that the unstable package depends on
things newer than what's on a stable machine.  It's still possible
that you'll have dependencies on packages that have been removed from
Debian since stable, though, in which case, yeah, you should
recompile.

	-- Abra Mitchell