irssi+silc

hello all,

i'm a relatively experienced debian user and opensource hacker, and in
addition to being generally interested in knowing how to package .debs,
i have a specific need to make it easy to install a binary irssi with
silc-plugin and perl-scripting enabled on a number of different debian
servers at work.

i've successfully built and installed the packages from source (see URLs
at bottom), such that i can connect to a silc server from the modified
irssi binary, and have perl scripting work.  i've read most of the debian
policy manual carefully, and scoured the new maintainers guide, as well
as doing a pretty thorough overview of most of the other documentation
these two sources (plus my wee ol' brain) put me onto.

my question is this: what's the debian way to best package this?  i've
made a first stab at it this evening, which seems to have failed, but
i'm not even really sure i'm taking a good approach here.  i'll take a
few paragraphs to explain what i've done, and hopefully someone can
offer some good suggestions for how to proceed.

1) in a sandbox source directory, i made a subdir called
   irssi-silc-0.8.6.CVS.0.9.11/ and untar'd each of the tarballs into
   it.  because irssi is the "main" piece of this stuff, i then moved
   everything from irssi-0.8.6/ into the package dir before running
   dh_make.  my intention here was to start creation of a package called
   'irssi-silc'

2) ran dh_make
3) configured irssi and silc-plugin with
   --prefix=.../irssi-silc-0.8.6.CVS.0.9.11/debian/irssi-silc and
   --with-glib2
4) make irssi, make silc-client, make silc-plugin to install everything
   into debian/irssi-silc

it took me most of the night to get these steps worked out, and
everything successfully built (there seems to be a small bug in the
silc-plugin source that caused the 'make' to fail until i tweaked
src/fe-common/silc/fe-messages.c to say 'printnick' on line 88 instead
of 'printnicks'.  when i finished, i ran debian/irssi-silc/bin/irssi,
and it loaded up properly.  when i typed "/load silc" to load the
silc-plugin, i got:

Irssi: Error loading module silc/core:
/.../irssi-silc-0.8.6.CVS.0.9.11/debian/irssi-silc/lib/irssi/modules/libsilc_core.so: undefined symbol: settings_get_time
Irssi: Error loading module silc/fe:
/.../irssi-silc-0.8.6.CVS.0.9.11/debian/irssi-silc/lib/irssi/modules/libfe_silc.so: undefined symbol: silc_calloc
Irssi: Error loading module silc/core:
/.../irssi-silc-0.8.6.CVS.0.9.11/debian/irssi-silc/lib/irssi/modules/libsilc_core.so: undefined symbol: settings_get_time

now, it may be that i'm too tired at this point, or that i fscked sumfin
up twiddling source here, but presumably i could get something like this
to build (since i've done it without the fancy --prefix flags). after
that i think what i want to do is modify debian/rules to configure and
build silc-plugin (and silc-client) at the same time.

am i on the right track here?

finally, let me fill in some other details i know about the debian
packages in question:

- silc-plugin already has a properly setup debian/ directory, which
  presumably helps me, but i don't really understand how.
- silcnet.org has deb-src packages available; again, i assume this helps
  me somehow, but i dont get how to use the work that's already been
  done here ;)
- digging around on http://debian.org/devel/wnpp/being_packaged, i
  noticed that someone's currently packaging irssi-icq, which again is
  theoretically helpful to me..
- i've located an unofficial package of irssi-text 0.8.6 via
  apt-get.org: http://people.debian.org/~nobse/debian/woody/backported

it occurs to me from this grouping of info that i might simply want some
kind of "meta" package that simply installs the correct set of packages
in such a way that they all play well with each other.. but how?

it seems clear that i've gotten myself in far too deep for a first
packaging attempt, but as i mentioned, i do have a specific need to
solve this problem.  anyone got some good pointers for how best to
proceed here?  have i left out any relevant pieces of info?

much thanks in advance,
derek

URLs:
[1] http://www.irssi.org/files/irssi-0.8.6.tar.gz