Re: Unofficial package tips

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 08:19:51PM +0100, Henning Moll wrote:
> Thanks for you tips! But still some questions remain:
>
> On Friday 28 February 2003 16:33, Bastian Kleineidam wrote:
> > Native Package or not?
> > ----------------------
> > Short answer: don't make a native package.
>
> Can you explain 'native package'? Did you mean 'binary-only' package by that?
A native package is one without a .orig.tar.gz (see dh_make(1)).
Everytime you upgrade a native package, you'll upload the complete
source code (.deb, .diff.gz, .changes, .dsc, .tar.gz).
Upgrading a non-native package usually uploads (.deb, .diff.gz, .changes,
.dsc) and only once .orig.tar.gz.

> > Be sure to provide a
> > .orig.tar.gz before calling $(DEBUILD).
>
> Hmm, dh_make is trying to do a similar approach. Why not use that way?
I like to have the original .tar.gz exactly as I downloaded it. dh_make
unpacks the source and repacks it to a new .orig.tar.gz.

> In addition i have some questions to the Depends section in debian/control:
> ${shlibs:Depends} is a nice feature, but i think for many packages/libraries
> it is way to strict, because it's always using the versions of installed
> packages which may not be necessary. So what's the best/common way to handle
> this?
The library version number is there for some reason: binary compatibility.
If you drop the version number from library depends, your package may
break when a new library is there.

> It is possible to let ${shlibs:Depends} do its job and then lower that
> requirements?
Its possible, but its not recommended.

> To be somewhat concret:
> Currently i am building an inoffical package for k3b (for woody/sarge). I have
> KDE3.1 installed and am building against that. But k3b only requires KDE
> higher 3.x. So i wonder if i could lower the corresponding entry in the
> Depends section?
I am not sure that all kde libraries are binary compatible between 3.1
and 3.0 versions. Just leave the depends as they are.

Cheers,
  Bastian

- --
     Bastian Kleineidam

 Atombombe · Plutonium · Fat Man · Do it Yourself · Tim Taylor