Re: Build-Depends on certain architecture

At 15:32 +0200 10/1/02, James Troup wrote:
>Geert Stappers <Geert.Stappers@xs4all.nl> writes:
>
>> All the work you are doing is to work around a bug in gcc 3.0 for HPPA,
>> that is fixed in gcc 3.2.
>>
>> So just upgrade the HPPA gcc to 3.2.
>> Some day it has to be done away.
>
>Err, no, it's really not that simple.  (Hint: C++ ABI, see -devel
>archives for details).
>
>> And the main reason for this simple answer is that
>>  I don't like special rules for a specific architecture.
>
>Your rabid dislike isn't reason for doling out bad advice, especially
>when you clearly don't actually know what you're talking about.
>
>Daniel, please ignore Geert.  'g++-3.2 [hppa]' is fine.

 (Seen before: a wrong answer gets a quicker respond
               as a unaswered question  )

Where can I read more about the benefits of
running a recent compiler on the system as default
versus running the same recent compiler for a single package build?

Or is it all about how to handle an exception?

Geert St