Re: Request for a sponsor (clisp)

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 10:13:32PM +0900, Oohara Yuuma wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 23:17:20 +0000,
> Will Newton <will@misconception.org.uk> wrote:
> > A program I use (GNU Common Lisp) is currently orphaned (#123279) and has a
> > couple of RC bugs to it's name. I would like to adopt this package and also
> > become a Debian developer. Obviously for this I would require a sponsor, so
> > is anyone interested in sponsoring me for this package?
> >
> > BTW - I do realise that this package appears to be a portability PITA but I
> > think I can cope with that.
> Please contact debian-qa as well.  There was a discussion whether
> Architecture: of clisp should be changed to i386 (only) or not.

I would like to request that CLISP not be restricted to i386-only.
Why?  Because SBCL is working towards being compilable by CLISP, and
SBCL has PPC, SPARC, and Alpha backends in addition to i386.  Being
compilable by CLISP would be a boon for people interested in building SBCL
from source as well as porting to new architectures, since CLISP is
currently the most portable Common Lisp system.  SBCL currently requires
either itself or CMUCL to be compiled, and CMUCL can only be compiled
by itself.

If you need help getting CLISP going on other architectures, I can't promise
anything, but I'm sure something can be worked out; contact me and I'll
ask around.

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.