Re: ldconfig in postinst

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 02:08:00PM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> > But I've noticed just now as I prepare a new upload that lintain complains,
> > saying,
> >
> > W: meschach: postinst-has-useless-call-to-ldconfig
> >

> anyway there was a bug (#109721) and lintian reported this warning even if you
> were effectively installing libraries in ldconfig path. this bugs has been solved
> and upgrading to newer versions of lintian should make you less confused :((

Yes, that seems to be the problem.  The warning has gone away with the
latest version of lintian.

> remember also to call ldconfig in postrm only with "remove" argument (see policy
> chapter 9)

Oh, I didn't realise I needed to do that too.  Thanks for the tip.

> > (and do I need to put dpkg-shlibdeps in debian/rules somewhere?  It seems
> > fine without it)
> >
> yes you should always call it if you are building any sort of binaries which may
> depends on other binaries (ie. executables and shared libraries). please remember
> that any library that uses libc must be compiled against but not have a dependency
> on it since libc is essential package (exception is required if you need a particular
> version of it).

OK I'll try it :)

Thanks again,

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A