website dpkg

I am trying to design a dpkg that installs a website. I have made a Makefile that will copy the files when a "make install" is done. I was successful in building a dpkg that does not have any dependencies, but when I add dependencies it still copies the files to the location but it says that the dependencies failed. So my question is what runs before the dependencies are checked and what runs after the dependencies are checked?

Tim Wolgemuth