Re: Need experienced perl module maintainer for a second pair of eyes on my package

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001 10:26:10 -0500, Ardo van Rangelrooij
<ardo@debian.org> wrote:
>Marc Haber (debian-mentors.lists.debian.org@marc-haber.de) wrote:
>> > - Why is there an empty /usr/lib/perl5 directory in your package?
>>
>> Because the Makefile generated by MakeMaker makes that directory on
>> install. I now delete it after installation. Any idea how to make
>> MakeMaker stop generating that directory?
>
>I noticed you're still doing a 'pure_install'.  Try doing an 'install' and see whether
>that fixes this problem.  I never had to remove directories manually.

Even which pure_install, the empty dir is created. I don't understand
the difference from pure_install to install anyway, the rules file of
the package I used as an example last year invoked pure_install.

>[snip]
>> > - The debian/rules is not in accordance with the Perl Policy, e.g
>> >   you shouldn't define PERL,
>>
>> Fixed. I don't exactly understand why, though.
>
>In cases like this I simply follow policy.

Where in the Perl Policy is that mentioned? I must have overlooked
that.

>> > you define
>> >   INSTALLDIRS=perl5 but you don't use it, etc.
>>
>> That is not a policy violation ;)
>>
>> Fixed anyway.
>
>I know, but I like things as clean as possible.

Me too. That's why I fixed them.

> - The binary-arch target has a build dependency.  Why?  Your package is
>   arch independent, so it shouldn't do anything for arch specific.

I still don't fully grasp the indep and non-indep stuff. The rules
file was simply adopted from a potato package. I guess I'd better take
a more current file. I have taken one of your packages and made a new
rules file. It is always better to take example code from people who
are already helping.

> - Why did you comment out dh_md5sums?

Not sure, that was taken over from my example.

> - You have the order of dh_installdeb and dh_perl reversed from mine.  Any
>   particular reason?

No, that was taken over from my example.

>I'm not sure it would make a difference, but it could.

Sounds more sensible to do dh_perl first.

> - Why do you have a 'dh_clean -k'?  I'm not sure, but removing the '-k' can
>   also make it possible to remove the line 'rm -f debian/files'.

Yes, you're right.

> - Why do you 'manually' remove all the different stamps?  You don't use any
>   of them.

Taken over from the example.

> - Why the 'rm -f Makefile.old'?

Because it is sometimes left over, for example if make clean is done
manually, and then debian/rules clean invoked.

> - You should install the upstream Changes via 'dh_installchangelogs' and not
>   via 'dh_installdocs'.

Need to keep dh_installdocs for the README, though.

I have put this version again on
http://q.bofh.de/~mh/debian/libnet-ipnetmember-perl. May I ask for a
hopefully final look?

Greetings