Re: Policy Questions: Example files in /usr/share/doc

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Marc Haber wrote:
> the policy upgrading checklist says:
> |      - Files in /usr/share/doc may not be referenced by any
> |        program. If such files are needed, they must be placed in
> |        /usr/share/package-name/, and symbolic links created as required
> |        in /usr/share/doc/package-name/
>
> Does "any program" include postinst scripts? It is common practice to
> put the default config file in /usr/share/doc and copy it to the final
> destination in the postinst if a file of that name is not already
> there.

Yes. In some not-so-distant-future, dpkg might be told to not unpack the
/usr/share/doc stuff, and your postinst would fail, and we in QA would want
your head for the mess.

Drop anything you need in your postinst somewhere else than /usr/shade/doc
(/usr/share/$package, or maybe /usr/lib/$package -- see FHS) is a good bet.

> I would be forced to move these files to /usr/share, and to add
> special code to my maintainer scripts to link them to /usr/share/doc.

No, you'll have to duplicate them OR add symlinks to the deb file itself
(which is probably the best solution).  Your maintainer scripts should never
even touch /usr/share/doc/* (other than to create the /usr/doc crap).

  Henrique Holschuh