Custom package versioning

Hello all,

At work, we are making custom Debian packages and we need a special versioning
system so that apt does not try to replace our package with a newer upstream
one.

I would like to know if there's a standard way to proceed, apart from setting
the debian version to customX, which is good, but doesn not deal with the fact
that dpkg will try to replace the package with a newer upstream one.

Thanks in advance for any input or ideas.

	Amaya
--
    Amaya M. Rodrigo Sastre	 Sysadmin @ Andago.com
                Proudly running Debian GNU/Linux