Re: Porting of non-free packages

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 11:26:32AM -0600, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > If not, during freeze (when presumably the buildds are less busy, once
> > they've caught up), can we get access to these machines to build our
> > non-free and contrib packages?
>
> During the freeze is before the freeze, no special handling I think (but I
> do not handle the buildds).

True, but during the freeze, fewer new packages come in, so the buildds are
/able/ to catch up (just by doing their job).

> However, as you could see on the machines page,
> accounts are available on request. You just have to remember that we have
> only this one machine on the net, resources are limited, the buildd comes
> first.

Of course. And in an ideal world (in which all worthwhile software is Free),
I'd be fine with non-free and contrib coming second; the real problem lies
in the fact that I maintain some software which I believe is useful, but
is either non-free (the distributed.net client) or depends on non-free stuff
(lxdoom). If these never get built for m68k (or sparc, or ia64, or
insert-arch-releasing-with-woody), they won't get included in testing, and
therefore won't get included in the stable archive for Woody. And this, imho,
is not what we want to do.
And in many cases, it's not for a lack of trying. I've been trying to get
sparc, m68k, and arm binaries of the latest versions of lxdoom and
distributed-net built for a while. Unfortunately, vore doesn't update
its account information via LDAP (like the rest of the servers), so I can't
log in there (I'm a new maintainer). And, as far as I can tell, there exists
no arm machine on which woody is installed (does debussy or the other arm
machines have a woody chroot?). So, I'm between a rock and a hard place.
I can't get updated versions of my packages into testing, even if I wanted
to.

> And you will note m68k is not the fastest arch on the world (allthough
> the nicest ;-)

:)