Re: modifying bugs for non-maintainers/official DD'ers.

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Brian Russo wrote:
> I know you're not (unless w/permission, submitter, or maintainer, etc)
> supposed to close bugs.. but what about things like changing subjects..
> merging.. changing severity levels..

QA work in the BTS, helping triage, classify and tag bugs is usually
welcome. Of course, you've got to be careful about what you're doing, and
double-check to make sure you didn't close/merge/retitle a wrong bug number.

I'd refrain from closing bugs, however. I'd suggest posting a message to the
bug with the justification for closing it, and tagging it FIXED (like a NMU
would).

I recall there was at least one maintainer that kept bugs open forever, on
purpose. I don't recall who, or why... but I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate
his bugs being closed :)

> be) going on.. anyway my question is how does this work for people who are not
> official developers, is it ok if they do things like merge bugs?

Well, AFAIK you can join the Debian QA group without being a registered
Debian developer (please refer to http://qa.debian.org/ ). That will give
you a bit more of an official position IMHO, (and it is probably a good idea
on its own).

  Henrique Holschuh