Lintian warnings for no-{section|priority}-field

     On January 14, I posted a message asking how to avoid the
following lintian warnings, when I did indeed have these fields in
debian/control:
W: dictd: no-section-field
W: dictd: no-priority-field

     The reply, by Joey Hess, advised me to use the -isp option to
dokg-gencontrol (or to use debhelper).  I was hospitalized the
following day so I was unable to follow up on this at the time.

     My problem was partly because of my confusion between
debian/control and debian/tmp/DEBIAN/control.  (One of these files
should be renamed, IMHO, but that's another matter.)

     Why does lintian issue a warning in this case?  Since a package
with these fields in debian/control and not in
debian/tmp/DEBIAN/control can be installed in the distribution and
work properly, isn't this lintian warning unnecessary, or perhaps a
bug in lintian?  If there is a good reason for this warning, then it
appears that dpkg-gencontrol should always be called with the -isp
option.  If this is true, shouldn't dpkg-gencontrol place section and
priority fields in debian/tmp/DEBIAN/control by default?

     Why does the packaging system require two control files anyhow?

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>