Taking over a package and sponsorship

G'day,
I've grabbed the source of the packages that I am taking over.  Is it now just a matter of changing the maintainer field and rebuilding the package, or do i create a new set of control files?  I can't seem top find a reference to how to do it, if there is one could someone point it out to me?
Second, do i just forward my package to my sponsor (deb, diff, tarball, etc) for checking or is there something else I need to do? Sign it?
Neil
--
cd /pub
more beer