Re: Build-Depends

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 04:35:57PM -0500, Bob Hilliard wrote:
>      During the discussion about adding build-depends to policy, I
> recall mention of a command that would generate a list of the packages
> called during the compilation of a package.  I can't find any mention
> o this command in policy or in the packaging manual.  Can anyone
> tell me the easiest way to generate a list of Build-Depends?

I'm not sure, but I know the complete lists of source dependencies generated
by the build daemons' "andrea" system is at:
http://buildd.debian.org/andrea/i386/
(pick whatever architecture you like, it shouldn't differ much)

I used those for my packages, I just removed the versions, the
andrea-specific tags, and renamed e.g. libncurses5-dev to libncurses-dev
(the virtual package name). It worked just fine.

>      If a package doesn't need anything other than the packages
> listed in /usr/share/doc/build-essential/list, does policy require
> the inclusion of the Build-Depends field in the control file?

I don't think so. Just as you can skip Depends:, you can skip Build-Depends:.

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name